About The Avery Gallery
The Walter Lee Avery Art Gallery is housed within City Hall at 440 Harcourt Avenue, Seaside, CA. City Hall itself is an architectural landmark for Seaside and was designed by the famed architect Edward Durrell Stone, a world known architect who also designed the:
- Kennedy Center
- The American Embassy in New Delhi
- Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula
The City of Seaside’s Art Program emphasis is to showcase local (this is most of Monterey County) artists in an effort to encourage participation in visual arts. Youth shows, group shows and invitationals participate in monthly exhibits throughout the year highlighting the diversity and excellence of visual artists in Seaside and throughout the Peninsula.
- The general public is welcomed free of charge.
- There is no fee assessed for artists to display their art work as one of the objectives of the gallery is to encourage and promote local artists.
To schedule arrangements for exhibits or to have your work included as an individual you can contact 831-899-6811.
Art in Public Places
The Art in Public Places Program is directed, in part, towards developing and upgrading the City of Seaside’s permanent art collection through acquisitions.
Intents & Purpose
The quality of life of the community is greatly enhanced by high quality Public art. Therefore, it is the intent and purpose of the following to set forth a policy regarding the acquisitions and installation of public art. It is further intended for the City of Seaside through its Art in Public Places Program to celebrate its artistic heritage, embrace its cultural responsibilities and guarantee its future generations a rich artistic legacy.
The principal goals for acquiring and displaying works of art on public property are:
- To enrich the public environment for both residents and visitors to the area through incorporation of the visual arts
- To enable Seaside to sustain and enhance its recognition as an art destination for visual arts
- To promote local artists
- To promote diversity through a variety of style, design and media
The Seaside Art Program involves exhibits at the Avery Art Gallery, which is free to the public and open during normal business hours at City Hall. These art exhibits feature the work of local artists.
Please see our current Activities Guide for the list of gallery events.
Equal opportunity to exhibit is afforded all interested individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, nationality, origin or handicap. The talent and ability of the artist are the only criteria considered in the selection process.