West Broadway Urban Village Infrastructure Project
Central Business District
The City of Seaside has undergone an exciting planning process to strengthen the economic, social, cultural and recreational fabric of 40 acres in the City’s central business district. The West Broadway Urban Village Specific Plan (WBUV) seeks to create a distinctive mixed-use, transit-oriented urban core. It includes a mix of residential with ground floor retail and commercial uses along Broadway Avenue with supporting future transit-oriented development along the west side of Del Monte Boulevard. The adopted design guidelines promote smart growth and green building practices. The WBUV Specific Plan was recognized by the Transportation Agency of Monterey County as a 2009 Transportation Excellence Award winner for improving traffic through its transit-oriented components.
The Urban Village footprint (PDF) extends along Broadway and Palm Avenues from Fremont Boulevard west to Del Monte Boulevard, south along Del Monte Boulevard to Canyon Del Rey Boulevard, and on the north side of Canyon Del Rey Boulevard from Del Monte Boulevard to just before the Seaside City Hall.
Two catalyst projects identified within the WBUV Specific Plan study area include a public library and parking garage mixed use development on Broadway Avenue and a Gateway hotel / conference center mixed-use development at the southeast corner of Canyon Del Rey and Del Monte Boulevards. The City Council unanimously adopted the WBUV Specific Plan by ordinance on January 21, 2010 and it is now in effect. The corresponding Program Environmental Impact Report was certified December 2009. To view the Adopted Specific Plan and Environmental Impact Report, view the Planning Division's Adopted Specific Plan page.
The City of Seaside is taking the first step towards implementing the West Broadway Urban Village Specific Plan with the planning and design of public infrastructure within the Specific Plan area. The project scope includes the design of the following public improvements:
- Streetscape and intersection improvements along Broadway Avenue, between Fremont and Del Monte Boulevards;
- Realignment and signalization of the intersections at Broadway Avenue and Del Monte Boulevard and Del Monte Boulevard and Palm Avenue;
- Development of pedestrian and bicycle amenities along Broadway Avenue, between Fremont and Del Monte Boulevards; and
- Upgrade of public utilities within the public right of way within the entire Specific Plan area.
This page will follow the progress of the infrastructure improvements as they happen. Check back regularly to find out how work is proceeding.
Streetscape & Public Improvement Map
The City has hired a consulting firm, ROMA Design Group to coordinate the planning and design of new infrastructure within the Specific Plan Area. City staff will be working with ROMA to coordinate the planning for infrastructure improvements as well as a phasing plan to anticipate when certain improvements will occur.
- Addendum to the West Broadway Avenue Urban Village Specific Plan EIR (PDF)
- April 7, 2011 City Council Redevelopment Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- April 7, 2011 West Broadway Urban Village Concept Plan (PDF)
- Contract Docs and Specifications dated June 3, 2013 (PDF)
- Estimate Dated March 6, 2013 (PDF)
- Findings of Facts and Statement of Overriding Considerations (PDF)
- Improvement Plans Dated March 6, 2013 - Part A (PDF)
- Improvement Plans Dated March 6, 2013 - Part BA (PDF)
- Improvement Plans Dated March 6, 2013 - Part BB (PDF)
- Improvement Plans Dated March 6, 2013 - Part C (PDF)
- Improvement plans dated March 6, 2013 - Part D (PDF)
- March 28, 2011 Community Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- Media Brief - February 6, 2012 (Espanol) (PDF)
- Media Brief - February 6, 2012 (PDF)
- Media Brief - January 11, 2011 (Espanol) (PDF)
- Media Brief - January 11, 2011 (PDF)
- Media Brief - May 11, 2011 (Espanol) (PDF)
- Media Brief - May 11, 2011 (PDF)
- West Broadway Avenue Urban Village Final EIR Appendices (PDF)
- West Broadway Avenue Urban Village Specific Plan Final EIR (PDF)