The CalFresh program is designed to supplement the food budget of low-income households to meet their nutritional needs. Individuals and families who recieved CalFresh benefits can buy food at a variety of stores, farmer's markets, or other authorized places using an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. The amount of CalFresh benefits a family receives is based on household size, family income, and other resources.
Who may be eligible for CalFresh?
- All US citizens
- Most immigrants - legal permanent residents
- People 60 years or older
- Individuals and families may be eligiable to recieve CalFresh benefits whether or not they work, if they have low income
To be eligible you must:
- Have a Social Security Number (SSN) this includes children
- Report all household members' income and property owned. Property and income limits vary depending on the number of persons in your household and their ages. (Personal vehicles are not included in determining CalFresh eligibility)
How long does it take for an application to be approved?
- The county shall provide eligible households that complete the initial application process an opportunity to participate as soon as possible, but not later that 30 calendar days following the date application was filed.
- In emergency situations a person/household may recieved expedited benefits not later than the 3rd calendar day following the date the application is filed (Saturday and Sunday are considered 1 day)
How to apply:
1. Online - www.getcalfresh.org or BenefitsCal.com
- Submit application
- Submit proof of your situation
- Submit documents (ID, Paystubs, Rent Receipts)
- You will be notified if they need more questions
- If approved, you will get an EBT card with money for groceries within 30 days.
2. By Phone - CalFresh info line 1.877.410.8823 - Available in English, Spanish, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, and Russian. For Speech and/or hearing assistance, call 711 relay.
3. By Fax - 831.784.5691
4. In person - Seaside Office, 1281 Broadway Ave, Seaside CA, 93955 - 831.899.8001
"For Seaside residents you can get application assistance through our Family and Community Support Program, by contact Derrick Elder by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 831.899.6851"